- Full Name: Vagit Alekperov
- Date of Birth: 9/1/1950 (Age: 73 )
- Source of Wealth: Oil (Self Made)
- Residence: Moscow, Russia
- Citizenship: Russia
- Marital Status: Married
- Children: 1
- Education: Master of Science in Engineering, Azerbaijan Institute of Oil and Chemistry
- Notable Accomplishments: Founded Lukoil, Russia’s largest independent oil company
- Notable Publications: “Oil of Russia: Past, Present and Future”
- Hobbies: Collecting old coins and founder of the International Numismatic Club in Moscow
- Notable Business Ventures: Former president of Lukoil, ownership in Dutch shipyard Heesen Yachts
Vagit Alekperov was born on September 1, 1950, in Baku, Azerbaijan. He is a Russian billionaire with a significant background in the oil industry. His journey in the world of oil began as a worker on Caspian Sea oil rigs. Later on, he rose through the ranks and eventually became a deputy minister overseeing the oil industry in the Soviet Union.
In 1991, seizing an opportunity, Alekperov founded Lukoil, which has since become Russia’s largest independent oil company. He holds a substantial ownership stake in Lukoil, estimated to be around 30%. Lukoil’s growth and success made Alekperov one of the wealthiest individuals in Russia and the world.
However, his business endeavors have not been without challenges. In September 2014, Lukoil was hit by U.S. sanctions. Despite these obstacles, Alekperov continued to navigate the energy sector.
In April 2022, Vagit Alekperov stepped down as the president of Lukoil. This decision came shortly after he was sanctioned by the United Kingdom. Additionally, Alekperov made headlines for transferring his ownership in the Dutch shipyard Heesen Yachts, where his luxurious 230-foot yacht, Galactica Super Nova, was built, to a Dutch foundation in 2022.
Beyond his business ventures, Alekperov is known for his educational background. He holds a Master of Science in Engineering from the Azerbaijan Institute of Oil and Chemistry.
Alekperov’s interests extend beyond business. He authored a book titled “Oil of Russia: Past, Present and Future” and has a passion for collecting old coins. In fact, he founded the International Numismatic Club in Moscow, where his coin collection is exhibited.
Vagit Alekperov’s life has been dedicated to the oil industry and business, with his impressive wealth and achievements making him a notable figure in Russia and the global billionaire community.